The Steeplejack and Lightning Protection Training Group (SLPTG) was formed as the Steeplejack Industry Training Group, in August 1974 to organise systematic training for the industry.
SLPTG works closely with Government, industry bodies and members to formulate and develop operative training and development for the lightning protection and steeplejacking industries. This has included developing the steeplejack and lightning protection national apprenticeship schemes, and the NVQ L3 Lightning Protective Systems Inspecting and Testing.
SLPTG also organises sector-specific training courses for its members, from apprentices and operatives through to management and supervisory roles. Courses are organised throughout the year at a low-cost or free of charge for members. Details of current courses and dates can be viewed in the Training & Events Calendar.
SLPTG is governed by a Council of eight:
- Chairman – Paul Cripps (Cuttings)
- Vice Chairman – Roy Westwick (Omega Red Group)
- Treasurer – Richard Rowson (Churchill Specialist Contracting)
- Daniel Turner (Braileys)
- Ian Townsend (Central High Rise)
- Colin Sanders (Millbrook First)
- David Gaughran (On Site Assessment & Training Services)
- Anthony Colley (PTSG – Electrical Services).
The SLPTG Secretariat is managed by Tamsin Parkes.
The Training Group continues to work closely with the Association of Technical Lightning and Access Specialists (ATLAS), whose criteria require all UK-based full members to also be a member of the Training Group.